How to get IPv6 Certification – For Beginners
What is IPv6 ?
Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is the latest revision of the Internet Protocol (IP), the communications protocol that provides an identification and location system for computers on networks and routes traffic across the Internet. IPv6 was developed by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) to deal with the long-anticipated problem of IPv4 address exhaustion.
IPv6 is intended to replace IPv4, which still carries the vast majority of Internet traffic as of 2013. As of late November 2012, IPv6 traffic share was reported to be approaching 1%.
Every device on the Internet must be assigned an IP address in order to communicate with other devices. With the ever-increasing number of new devices being connected to the Internet, the need arose for more addresses than IPv4 is able to accommodate. IPv6 uses a 128-bit address, allowing 2128, or approximately 3.4×1038 addresses, or more than 7.9×1028 times as many as IPv4, which uses 32-bit addresses. IPv4 allows only approximately 4.3 billion addresses. The two protocols are not designed to be interoperable, complicating the transition to IPv6.
IPv6 addresses are represented as eight groups of four hexadecimal digits separated by colons, for example 2001:0db8:85a3:0042:1000:8a2e:0370:7334, but methods of abbreviation of this full notation exist.
How to get IPV6 Certified ?
For achieving an IPV6 Certification, Hurricane Electric (HE) has a certification program for beginners where you can pass tests (practical ones) and get promoted to various levels of IPv6 certifications. Here I will show you the steps for getting your first “Newbie” Certification:
- Visit http://ipv6.he.net/certification/
- Register there.
- They will sent a password to your E-Mail. Use it login to your account.
- Then you need to complete two simple tests for passing your first test.
- Read the IPv6 Primer.
- When you are ready, complete a quick set of questions.
- Click on Read the IPv6 Primer. Read the article about IPv6 thoroughly.
- Then Click on the second tasks and answer some few questions.
- Then Go to main page.
- You will see your title “Newbie” on the top right of the screen.
- Click on the Printer Icon to print your first IPv6 Certificate.
If you are really interested to explore IPv6, then move on to the next level and complete upto the “Sage” Certification. Below is a screenshot of my “Sage Certificate“.